If you're looking for a delicious and healthy vegan dip recipe, look no further. This simple and satisfying dip will make your taste buds happy and your body grateful. With spinach, eggplant and leeks and so many other great plant based ingredients you will love this creamy, flavorful, and easy to make dip.
This dip is perfect for any occasion, whether it's a party, a picnic, or a snack. You can serve it with crackers, bread, or raw vegetables of your choice. You can also spread it on sandwiches, wraps, or toast for a satisfying meal.
It's not only tasty, but also nutritious. It's packed with protein, fiber, iron, calcium, and antioxidants from the spinach, eggplant, leek, and bell pepper. It's also low in fat and calories, thanks to the vegan cream cheese and avocado oil. It's gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free, making it suitable for most dietary preferences and allergies. It's also easy to make, requiring only a few simple steps and ingredients.
As you may know, eating more plant-based foods can have many positive effects on your health by lowering inflammation, and the environment. Plant-based foods are rich in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and fiber that can help prevent and treat various chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and obesity. Plant-based foods also use less water, land, and energy than animal products, and produce less greenhouse gas emissions and waste. By choosing plant-based foods more often, you can improve your well-being and reduce your ecological footprint.
This is what you'll need for the vegan spinach dip recipe:
- 2 lb frozen spinach
- 1 Med-Small Eggplant
- 1 large leek (or 2 small) white part only- green tops removed, split in half lengthwise and washed (this will help remove grit)
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened (optional)
- ¼ C Vinegar (of choice - we used white wine, but apple cider is great too)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (fresh or roasted - we used roasted)
- ½ Cup Minced Yellow Onion
- 1 can water chestnuts
- 2 Tbsp fresh Oregano minced
- Salt and pepper to taste (add salt only if needed)
- Preheat oven to Broil
- Wash Eggplant and dry off
- Coat Eggplant, and leek in avocado oil
- On a foil lined baking sheet broil eggplant and leek (cut side down) for 10-12 minutes making sure to turn the eggplant on a new side every 3-4 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes remove the leek and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 and bake eggplant for an additional 15-20 minutes or until eggplant collapses when touched. Remove from oven and let cool
- Take frozen spinach out to thaw and place in a colander over a bowl.
- Remove skin from eggplant - throw away. Add eggplant to the food processor with vegan cream cheese, garlic and vinegar. Puree until mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Dice bell pepper
- Remove any blackened top layers from leek and slice into strips
- Drain and dice water chestnuts
- If spinach is not thawed all the way you can run under warm water. Once thawed be sure to squeeze/press spinach in the colander to remove all water. Spinach should be on the dry side.
- Mix spinach, diced onion, bell pepper, leek, water chestnuts, and oregano with enough eggplant puree to moisten. Add puree a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.